Emma Lewisham as of October 2020 has achieved
- 100% traceability of ingredients and packaging
- 100% of material can be recycled through the Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle (kerbside recycling cannot recycle beauty pumps, squeezy tubes and coloured or frosted glass)
- 3 out of 5 of our products can be refilled (by 2021 all of our products will be part of a refillable model)
- 100% not tested on animals, including individual ingredients not tested on animals
- 98% compostable packaging (the shipping label applied by our shipping partner NZ Post currently uses a plastic layer over the shipping label. We have been working to swap this to a compostable label, which will happen by January 2022 – for all companies, not just Emma Lewisham)
*A note on Palm Oil: Palm oil is the lowest cost, most widely produced vegetable oil on earth. It is the highest yielding oil meaning that it requires less land to produce than any other vegetable oil. Palm oil itself is not commonly used as a cosmetic ingredient and we do not use it in any Emma Lewisham products. However, Palm oil is a relatively common feedstock used in the manufacture of a variety of materials that are used as cosmetic ingredients. The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is the leading certification body. They have developed a set of environmental and social criteria which companies must comply with in order to produce Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO). Derivatives of Palm oil such as are used in cosmetics can be certified by RSPO subject to supply chain requirements. There are three types of supply chain mechanisms that pertain to cosmetic ingredients. These relate to the different ways in which the palm is grown and the oil extracted and traded. In some places, Palm oil is obtained from large plantations that are managed by large corporates and extracted and sold by them. In other regions it is produced by small family groups and combined with many other producers for on-going sale and processing. This precludes traceability from the end product back to an individual farm. Wherever feasible, we use palm oil derivatives that are RSPO supply chain certified. These include materials like Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Glyceryl stearate, Glycerin, Capric/caprylic triglyceride. However, a very small number of specialty ingredients we use such as Cetearyl olivate and Sorbitan olivate are not currently available RSPO supply chain certified. We are working towards obtaining these materials from sources that are RSPO supply chain certified.