Skin Shield Broad-spectrum SPF30 Protection
Broad spectrum defence (UVA & UVB) 100% natural sunscreen
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham is a next generation mineral sunscreen.
What makes it unlike any other sunscreen, is it’s truly 100% natural, but it doesn’t compromise high SPF30 performance or luxury, overcoming the typical flaws of zinc/mineral sunscreens. It meets international testing standards and is a joy to wear – it’s unbelievably light and with no heaviness or greasiness.
It provides broad spectrum mineral defence against UVA and UVB rays and is loaded with 19 of the most nutrient rich organic botanicals. Skin Shield locks in moisture with 9 ingredients for intense hydration, 6 ingredients to fight pollution and free radical damage from the sun, and 7 sources of vitamins and minerals for a healthy protected complexion. Giving you more than ever from your sun protection.
Start every day with the world’s most powerful anti-ageing
ingredient – sun protection
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham was borne out of a personal dilemma. Emma couldn’t find a truly 100% clean and natural sunscreen that was high performance but still felt luxurious on her skin.
Our green chemists have worked meticulously to develop this. A revolutionary daily sunscreen with 19 powerful natural actives, is 100% natural, but with no heaviness or greasiness and meets the highest of testing standards.
It is very difficult chemistry to formulate a 100% clean and natural sunscreen that is luxurious as conventional products which use chemical screens or silicones, but we have done just that.
Skin Shield SPF 30 (100g) zinc sunscreen provides broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays.
Skin Shield SPF 30 is tested to the Australian/New Zealand AS/NZS 2604 standard, which is based on the international ISO 24443 for broad spectrum testing, and ISO 24444 for in-vivo SPF testing.
This means it is scientifically verified as delivering SPF 30 broad spectrum protection.
19 effective botanical ingredients
Every ingredient works hard in our formulation but below are your noteworthy ‘skin heroes’:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is like the glass of water your skin desperately needs when out in the sun. It's a molecule that draws and locks in moisture to your skin, supports elasticity, and boosts collagen production. It has an ability to absorb up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Zinc Oxide: Natural mineral pigment which gives protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Our zinc oxide is uniquely non-whitening, with no white residue left on your skin. It is also reef safe.
- Organic Prickly Pear: Is the ultimate beauty oil. It has the highest plant-based concentration of vitamin E of any skin oil (150% more than Argan oil). A powerful antioxidant that can penetrate through layers of skin, assisting the body with the natural wound-healing process. Vitamin E also helps to renew skin cells, making them stronger and reducing oxidative stress.
- Kakadu Plum: Vitamin C is a powerhouse for the skin, it’s one of the most research-backed skincare ingredients, and Kakadu Plum oil has the highest plant-based concentration of vitamin C in the world – 100 times more than an orange.
- Raspberry Seed Oil: Has powerful antioxidant properties which ward off damaging environmental aggressors and enhance UV protection.
Full list of ingredients
We ensure every Emma Lewisham ingredient is clean and safe and ban 2700 ingredients that have been identified by the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep Database as hazardous or potentially harmful to humans. Below is our full list of ingredients with their EWG ratings in brackets (1 = low, 10 = high).
You can also learn more about each ingredient and our sustainability goals in our Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
Coco-caprylate/caprate (1) • Zinc oxide (nano) (2) • Water (1) • Tapioca starch (1) • Organic Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil (1) • Glycerin (2) • Sorbitan olivate (1) • Cera alba (1) • Lecithin (2) • Polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate (1) • Polyglyceryl-3 polyricinoleate (1) • Organic Opuntia ficus-indica (Prickly Pear) seed oil (1) • Hippophae rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) fruit oil (1) • Terminalia ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) seed oil (1) • Hyaluronic acid (1) • Organic Persea gratissima (Avocado) oil (1) • Leontopodium alpinum (Edelweiss) flower/leaf extract (1) • Organic Calophyllum inophyllum (Tamanu) seed oil (1) • Organic Mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf extract (1) • Organic Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaf extract (1) • Camellia oleifera (Camellia) seed oil (1) • Organic Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter (1) • Organic Veronica officinalis (Speedwell) extract (1) • Organic Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit oil (1) • Organic Alchemilla vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) extract (1) • Organic Rubus idaeus (Raspberry) seed oil (1) • Organic Malva sylvestris (Mallow) extract (1) • Organic Primula veris (Cowslip) extract (1) • Organic Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil (1) • Organic Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) extract (1) • Glyceryl caprylate (1) • Isostearic acid (1) • Caprylhydroxamic acid (1) • Sodium chloride (1) • Galactoarabinan (1) • Polyhydroxystearic acid (1) • Potassium cetyl phosphate (1) • Benzyl alcohol (1 at the concentration we use) • Parfum (natural fragrance, derived from flowers) • Benzyl Salicylate (3) • Citronellol (3) • Eugenol (3) • Geraniol (3) • Linalool (3)
- 100% of total ingredients are naturally derived
- 68% of active ingredients are from organic farming
- Our formulations contain benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, geraniol, linalool in very low concentrations as constituents of our essential oils. It’s worth noting that the EWG rating for these, refer only to the individual constituents extracted in a lab from the essential oil, or synthetic replications. The ratings are not applicable to our formulas, as we never use extracted or synthetic constituents, only the pure naturally occurring essential oil
This product is included in our Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle free recycling programme.
Our Skin Shield box is printed on an environmentally responsible paper which has been produced using PEFC certified pulp from responsible sources. We print on it using mineral, oil free, vegetable based inks and water based coatings. Oil based glue is required to assemble these boxes. Stamping foil used on the box does not affect recyclability. It is 100% recyclable in New Zealand with no chemical coatings, which means our boxes will degrade naturally, whether they are composted or simply put in the landfill.
Our Skin Shield tube is made from plastic for practical and safety reasons. It is made from 100% recycled post consumer HDPE #2 plastic, which means we buy non-virgin plastic already circulating in the global plastics market that needs to be used. By reusing it over and over again, we are actively diverting waste from landfill.
developed a Sustainability Framework which provides transparency on
what Emma Lewisham is doing to address the six drivers of our supply
chain: raw materials, supplier, manufacturing, distribution, retail
outlets and customers. These are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
the Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
How to use a sunscreen. Advice from Dermatest Australia (leading testing agency)
- It is essential to use sunscreen correctly to achieve the best protection.
- Apply sunscreen liberally to all sun-exposed areas so that it forms a film when initially applied. Most people do not use enough. It takes at least six teaspoons of lotion to cover the sun-exposed areas of the body of one average adult person. Although zinc sunscreen can have a white film at first, do persist with rubbing it in.
- It takes 20–30 minutes for sunscreen to be absorbed by the skin and it can easily be rubbed off, so apply it at least half an hour before going out in the sun.
- Reapply after half an hour so that the ‘mountains’, as well as the ‘valleys’, are protected (imagine you are painting a wall – two coats of paint provide a more even coverage than one).
- Re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours if staying out in the sun for more than an hour during the day.
- Re-apply immediately after swimming, excessive sweating, or if rubbed off by clothing or towelling, even if the product claims to be “water resistant”.
- Insect repellents reduce the sunscreen's SPF so when using together, use a sunscreen with a higher SPF and re-apply more often.
If you have sensitive skin or allergies: While our formulation is 100% clean and naturally derived, we recommend if you have sensitive skin or allergies that you do a patch test first or consult your medical practitioner before using any new skincare product. If your skin is not responding well to one of our products, including irritation, please discontinue use and contact a medical practitioner.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding: This serum is generally safe to use while pregnant and breastfeeding, however, we recommend you check with your doctor before using.
Using Skin Shield with our other products
All of our products were developed to be used together. The general rule for skincare is to layer from the thinnest to the thickest product. For example, you could cleanse, then apply our Supernatural Triple Vitamin A+ Face Oil, then our Skin Reset serum, then use this Skin Shield UVA/UVB Face/Body SPF 30 sunscreen.
The Emma Lewisham
Naturally derived & traceable
SPF tested & certified by an accredited laboratory
Part of the Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle – Recycle
Vegan. PETA certified animal testing free
Safe to use while pregnant & breastfeeding
Compostable packaging. Tube is made from 100% recycled PCR plastic – a world first